In the early Middle Ages it was a Republic, later it was subjected to the Bizantine, Goths and Longobard colonies.
The Sorrentine Dukedom was chiefly known for its shipyards and maritime trade. At the beginning of the 19th century the wood and marquetry industry replaced the order silk weaving craft. In the early 20th century, agricolture also become a real commercial and trading activity.
Sorrento is positioned on a volcanic tufa block surrounded by deep ravines which for many century have set the boundaries of the ancient city.
A period of profound change for the Peninsula began whit the laying out of the national highway 'SS. 145' (1840). Later, in 1866, with the continuation of this highway into the ancient centre of Sorrente, there took place substantial modifications of the old town plane; a big process of urbanization.
In the Piazza Tasso (the heart of the city) there are the statue of Sant'Antonino (patron of Sorrento), the monument to the poet Tasso and the Carmine Church.
The Museo Correale was a generous present of Count Correale, it contains an archeological section including Greek, Roman and Bizantine Statues.
In the 16th century, master carpenters from Sorrento were already executing the inlaying of wood for churches and noble's palace, a real cabinet-making industry has only grow since the beginning of the last century.
Consequently numerous cabinet-makers shop arise all around the town; today marquetry constitutes one of the mainstays of the local economy.